Cathedral of St. Budolfi
The Cathedral in Aalborg, in North Jutland, named after the English Saint Budolfi, a Benedictine monk, who lived in 700. In the year 1000, this place was a wooden Church, then the Romanesque Cathedral, which partially can be seen in the crypt of a modern building. Its basics, and this is the nave, two aisles, porch and tower in the Gothic style of yellow brick, built in the late XIV century. In 1773, the Cathedral was the famous spire, which, seemingly fixed in the sky and usually serves as a reference. He partly turned the Cathedral into one of the main attractions of Aalborg.
The tower of the Cathedral is even depicted on the city logo. On each side of the tower there is a clock. They are identical and made by master Friedrich Wilhelm Meyer. Each dial has a Golden Cockerel, which heralds the start of a new day and symbolizes the light that drives away the evil spirits of the night. In the form of a rooster is made, and the gilded weathercock on the spire of the tower height of 28 meters and plus, the spire of 35.5 meters. As a result, the overall height of the tower is 63,5 metres more. In 2010 the Church was thoroughly restored, and she again is the most visited tourist object.
In the Church collected many valuable works of art. Ceiling frescoes have been preserved from 1500 years. They depict the symbols of the four evangelists – the lion Mark, the ox Luke, the eagle John and the angel Matthew. In addition, a real thrill, cause paintings depicting famous biblical stories. Abraham sacrifices his son Isaac, the Holy Family flees to Egypt. the Altar, done in the style of early Baroque, was presented to the Church in 1689. This is a beautiful example of wood carving covered with gold leaf. On the throne stand two brass candlesticks, each weighing 70 kg.
Benches in the Church have been preserved since 1900. The first five monogrammed, in ancient times they were reserved for mayors and city Council members. In the center of the temple there is a gallery with beautiful painted, decorated in 1899. The motifs of the old and New Testaments, scenes from the story of Adam and eve, an allegory on the theme of faith, hope and love. In 1728 Groton Maren, the widow of the Viceroy Lord Geoffrey von Renta donated to the Cathedral the baptismal font. It is made of white and black marble, and in the middle of a splendid silver Cup of very fine work, which has the shape of a shell and decorated with engravings.
In the Church many of the epitaphs, as the memory of the revered and famous residents of Aalborg. A perfect example of a Renaissance epitaph Karine Hansdatter, made in 1583. Epitaphs, dedicated to Jacob and Elizabeth Hammering, are excellent examples of neoclassical design. In General, the whole interior of this ancient temple was awe inspiring, seemingly under its arches are still living legends and myths.